High blood sugar is a clinical sign that indicates the development of diabetes mellitus. It is customary to distinguish several degrees of severity of this pathological condition - it can be a slight increase in sugar, moderate severity and severe hyperglycemia. When glucose rises to a mark of 16 mmol / L or more, the patient may fall into a coma.
Patients should monitor their health, since with prolonged hyperglycemia there is a risk of damage to nerve endings, blood vessels, and other dangerous conditions. To prevent such complications, it is recommended to seek the help of a doctor.
The standard list of external signs of elevated blood glucose levels includes: chronic fatigue syndrome, a constant feeling of thirst, a rapid change in weight, both up and down.
An increase in blood sugar in diabetes is manifested by frequent urination, dry mucous membranes, skin, impaired vision, spasms of accommodating muscles, and arrhythmia.
Diabetes always gives high sugar, with a prolonged course of the disease it is observed:
- weakening of immunity,
- poor wound healing
- deep noisy breathing is noted.
Acute forms of diabetes are accompanied by dehydration, increased ketone bodies in the blood, impaired consciousness, in especially severe cases there is a coma.
You need to know that the symptoms of high blood sugar considered are not always indicators of diabetes, so you still need to take tests to determine the causes of the disorders. A risk factor will be stress, poorly designed rhythms of wakefulness and sleep, low physical activity.
During pregnancy, high blood sugar in an adult is associated with hormonal changes, this type of disease is called gestational diabetes. If you do not carry out regular medical supervision, there is a chance of harming the unborn child and the body of the mother herself. In such cases, it is recommended to carry out complex therapy with a mandatory consideration of the physiology of the woman.
Increased blood sugar, symptoms and treatment
Any fluctuation in the level of sucrose in the blood (either a decrease or an increase) signal a deterioration in the performance of the whole organism. The concentration of glucose in the blood should always be at approximately the same level.
You can check the state of blood sugar when passing a blood biochemical analysis. There is also a special apparatus - a glucometer, which in a few moments can determine the presence of indicators of sugar in the blood.
High blood sugar is characteristic of some types of diseases. In particular, the human endocrine system suffers from a similar state of blood. There are a number of signs that clearly indicate a deviation in blood sugar.
After a visual examination, the doctor recommends that the patient undergo a series of basic diagnostic measures aimed at identifying the characteristic symptoms of pathological changes in the body. When hyperglycemia occurs in a mild form, it is problematic to independently determine it using a portable glucometer. In this case, you can not do without passing the appropriate tests.
First of all, to determine the level of sugar, they donate blood on an empty stomach, this popular method shows the amount of glucose without other reducing components. Biological material is delivered on an empty stomach, 12 hours before the study, you need to refuse to eat food, strive to reduce physical activity and taking medications.
When the initial diagnosis shows a deviation from the accepted norm, the doctor gives a referral for additional studies. One of these will be the load method, it is carried out in a round-the-clock or day hospital. In the morning on an empty stomach they take blood according to the method discussed above, then glucose must be administered dosed. After a couple of hours, a repeated blood sampling is carried out. If the secondary result is exceeded, 11 mmol / L marks indicate hyperglycemia.
There is another method - clarifying reducing, donate blood, taking into account the amount of other substances:
The analysis helps to clarify the blood sugar, make a final diagnosis, identify the presence of concomitant health problems, for example, kidney damage.
A change in blood sugar is only a symptom that shows a malfunction in the body. However, this does not exclude the possibility of developing dangerous complications, the most severe of which will be ketoacidosis.
In diabetic ketoacidosis, there is a violation of carbohydrate metabolism, an increase in the number of ketone bodies in the bloodstream. Often in adults, this happens against the background of diabetes during the decompensation period. Then ketonuria, dehydration, arrhythmia, respiratory failure, lightning-fast progress of sluggish infectious diseases develops.
In some cases, ignoring medical control, a hyperglycemic coma develops, the acidity level drops to unacceptable values, and the patient faces clinical death.
Symptoms in women are the same as in men, age also does not affect the manifestations of pathology.
How to lower high blood sugar?
What blood sugar is considered elevated? If fasting sugar is above the level of 5.5 mmol / l, and sugar after eating is 7.8 mmol / l (the highest indicator). With diabetes, treatment is aimed at eliminating hyperglycemia, getting rid of the causes of high sugar. The sugar rates for women and men are the same.
For therapy, the use of sugar-lowering drugs, insulin injections is indicated. Direct injections of insulin should be strictly dosed, the precomatose state involves the use of ultrashort drugs as soon as possible, these are the preparations Humulin, Humalog.
In type 1 diabetes, tablets are prescribed to lower blood glucose, usually these are drugs that contain phenylalanine amino acids, sensitizers, benzoic acids, and may contain sulfonylurea. In addition, a plentiful drink is necessary, with severe hyperglycemia, a weak solution of baking soda is used.
Mild forms of metabolic disturbances include moderate physical activity, as well as a balanced therapeutic diet. Even very high sugar can be brought down thanks to nutrition.
Since a persistent change in glucose level in the overwhelming majority of cases is a symptom of diabetes, recovery does not occur without a proper diet. It is especially necessary to pay attention to the menu when detecting type 1 diabetes. Necessarily necessary:
- calorie balance
- the elimination of easily digestible carbohydrates,
- normalization of proteins, fats.
It is important to make food varied, then the signs of high sugar go away in a short time. It is necessary to choose products with a reduced glycemic index, such do not provoke a rapid increase in glycemia, do not aggravate the symptoms of the disease.
If sugar is high, people eat seafood, soy, mushrooms, fresh vegetables, fruits, and herbs. Diet becomes the main factor in normalizing the quality of life, plays a major role in the treatment of the disease, and helps to achieve effective compensation for metabolic disorders.
With high blood sugar, a person should have an idea of bread units, they are the equivalent of 10 g of carbohydrates. Special tables come to the rescue of people with hyperglycemia, they indicate bread units for almost all modern food products, which are often present in the human diet.
When determining the daily range of products, it is necessary to exclude:
- refined fats
- refined oils
- white sugar
- durum wheat pasta.
It is shown to exclude refractory fats, rely on carbohydrate products with a high content of dietary fiber, you need to remember the balance of unsaturated fatty acids.
Blood sugar levels decrease if you eat fractionally, daily calorie breakdown into several basic and a couple of additional meals. On average, diabetics are advised to eat 2,000 calories per day, if hyperglycemia is not complicated.
Some doctors vehemently criticize the use of sugar substitutes popular in our time, so the possibility of using sweeteners to reduce calorie intake must be negotiated individually.
Which doctor should I go to?
If high blood sugar and symptoms in an adult begin unexpectedly, he should seek medical help. Therapist or family doctor can detect diabetes, usually the disease is detected by chance during a routine examination.
In diabetes mellitus, the therapist does not prescribe treatment; a person needs to consult an endocrinologist. He will give directions for passing tests, interrogate a person and conduct a visual examination. Blood is given on an empty stomach, if necessary, the material is taken immediately after eating.
When the pathology gave complications to other internal organs, an additional consultation of a doctor with a narrow specialization is indicated: an ophthalmologist, a neuropathologist, a cardiologist and a vascular surgeon.
The findings of doctors help the endocrinologist to understand what to do, what it happened from and what hyperglycemia threatens with an increase in blood sugar. Medicines are prescribed to maintain the functioning of the body at an adequate level.
Doctors endocrinologists treat type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus, other diseases associated with metabolic disorders in the body:
- oncology of the organs of the endocrine system,
- hormonal changes,
Since such a large number of pathologies cannot be treated by one doctor alone, endocrinology is usually divided into specializations. The endocrinologist-surgeon is involved in the problem of diabetes mellitus, its complications in the form of ulcers, gangrene. He conducts surgical treatment of patients.
If there is a lot of blood sugar in men and women who suffer from disorders in the genital area, infertility, they need to contact an endocrinologist-gynecologist. A geneticist should monitor the problems of heredity, in his competence not only diabetes, but also large or dwarf growth.
A diabetologist selects an optimally balanced diet, a thyroidologist is involved in the diagnosis and treatment of thyroid diseases.
First Aid for High Sugar
When the blood sugar in adults is high, it is a lack of insulin, since glucose is poorly absorbed, cell starvation is noted. Further, insufficient oxidation of fatty acids occurs, ketone bodies accumulate in the blood, thereby violating the metabolism. The work of the nervous and cardiovascular systems is also complicated, one of the stages of acidosis develops: moderate, severe, coma.
In humans, these conditions manifest themselves in different ways, it is important to learn how to identify them in a timely manner and take measures. At the beginning of acidosis, symptoms of high sugar are manifested by weakness in the body, fatigue, tinnitus. The patient smells bad from the oral cavity, the stomach hurts, urination becomes more frequent, glucose rises to the level of 19 mmol / l.
The precomatose state is manifested by symptoms: persistent nausea, vomiting, impaired consciousness, vision. At the same time, breathing quickens, bad breath becomes brighter, in a diabetic limb gets colder. The patient can feel very bad for more than a day, the sugar concentration does not decrease, a diabetic coma develops, the result of an increase in blood sugar can be sad.
If blood sugar levels are too high, what should I do? It is required to know the sequence of actions for first aid, so it is necessary:
- measure glucose
- administer insulin
- provide plenty of drink.
When the sugar index is more than 14 mmol / l, with the first type of diabetes it is important to inject insulin, and then measure glucose as often as possible. Insulin is injected until the condition normalizes, but they do not allow a rapid drop in indicators.
If measures against high sugar do not work, urgent hospitalization is indicated. Diabetic ketoacidosis can cause respiratory failure, an oxygen mask is required. To remove acetone, the stomach is washed with a weak solution of soda (sodium bicarbonate).
With the second type of disease, you can reduce the acidity of the body, blood sugar can be done not with drugs, but with the use of vegetables, fruits, a large amount of mineral water, a solution of baking soda.
The first signs of high sugar are manifested by loss of consciousness, a cleansing enema with soda helps bring the patient to feelings. As the condition worsens, the skin becomes rough, peeling, it is recommended to treat them with a wet towel, pay attention to the areas:
The consequences of dehydration are life threatening. When the patient has lost consciousness, it is strictly forbidden to pour water into his mouth, a person can quickly drown.
To increase the chance of avoiding diabetic coma, you will need to carefully monitor your health, diet, and regularly devote time to physical activity.
When medicines are prescribed, they must be taken constantly, strictly on schedule, since a missed dose can increase the likelihood of acidosis. Medications are necessary for the production of insulin in the pancreas, they will help process sugar.
The symptoms of hyperglycemia are described in detail in the video in this article.
High blood sugar, symptoms in an adult
In most cases, the sugar level in the circulatory system is not able to increase sharply, the process of increasing the overall indicators occurs gradually, therefore, on the initial deviations of the indicators, the person does not feel any special negative symptoms.
In the same case, when a person has a long deviation from general norms, the following reasons for the deterioration of general health may appear in him:
- a sharp increase in body weight,
- the presence of constant irritability and aggression,
- the appearance of causeless drowsiness,
- a frequent feeling of hunger (even if a person has recently eaten),
- in men - impotence,
- in women - the presence of vaginal infections,
- the appearance of numbness of the lower and upper limbs,
- activation or development of skin defects (diseases), increased itching, skin rashes.
Prediabetes, blood sugar
Doctors are sure that a larger percentage of the population of the whole world and can not suspect the predisposition of their own body to the appearance of prediabetes. Prediabetes disease is the initial stage of the presence of a serious ailment - diabetes. Surprisingly, prediabetes can last about 3 years, and then instantly develop into the stage of advanced diabetes.
It is possible to identify the state of prediabetes only when taking blood tests. What are the indicative blood sugar readings?
- from 3, 5 and up to 5, 5 mm / l - sugar substances are normal,
- from 5, 5 to 6, 9 mm / l - the beginning of the development of prediabetes,
- more than 6, 9 mm / l - the active stage of prediabetes, in this case it is already possible to detect diabetes mellitus (in the presence of other concomitant symptoms of the disease).
What foods lower blood sugar quickly?
Like many other ailments, an increase in the level of sugary substances is often caused by malnutrition. But there are also products that can quickly bring blood counts back to normal.
- Seafood - lobsters, lobsters, crabs - do not contain substances that increase sugar,
- Tofu (cheese) - the main product in prediabetes state,
- Green vegetables and greens (cabbage of all kinds, lettuce, celery, spinach, zucchini) are natural stimulants of blood sugar indicators,
- Pumpkin, ginger, blackcurrant berries, olives or olives, sweet turnips, various varieties of peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, ripe radishes - perfectly contribute to lower sugar rates,
- Oatmeal - normalizes and maintains normal all indicators of sugar,
- Nuts of all varieties effectively slow down the absorption of sugar substances by the body, which helps to reduce the level of sugar in the blood,
- Citrus fruits perfectly contribute to the regulation of sugar,
- Garlic has excellent antioxidant properties and contributes to the production of natural insulin in the body,
- Thanks to protein compounds, legumes help slow down the absorption of sugary substances.
Reducing blood sugar folk remedies quickly
If the blood sugar levels significantly exceed their own standards, then a person is prescribed medication. In popular practice, popular and effective agents are used that can instantly reduce high sucrose levels.
- Cinnamon is a natural stimulant for blood sugar. Daily use of dry cinnamon 1 g. per day 40 consecutive days helps bring normal blood sugar to normal,
- A decoction of dandelion root is able to bring blood counts to normal in a matter of minutes. The Jerusalem artichoke, known to many, has a similar property, it is necessary to eat 1 fruit per day as therapeutic goals,
- The course application of the infusion of the golden mustache can quickly heal the prediabetes state,
- Decoction of blackcurrant leaves helps relieve blood sugar levels,
- Flaxseed oil normalizes internal processes, and then contributes to the normalization of all indicators of blood composition.
Pills to lower blood sugar
Every year, the pharmaceutical industry develops a huge number of modern-level drugs that effectively reduce blood sugar levels. The appointment of such funds should only be done by a doctor.
Among a large assortment of medication products against elevated blood sugar levels, pills stand out:
Tablets that promote better absorption of incoming glucose in the digestive tract:
How to quickly lower blood sugar
Diabetes mellitus is a pathology of the endocrine apparatus, which requires constant correction of the glucose level in the body against the background of its high numbers. Decrease and support of indicators at an acceptable level is a guarantee of a high quality of life for patients and prevention of the development of complications of the “sweet disease”. The article describes how to reduce blood sugar with medicines, diet therapy and folk remedies.
Signs of pathology
Symptoms of high glycemia are manifested as follows:
- constant thirst is the first and most vivid manifestation,
- polyuria (a large amount of urine excreted),
- polydipsia - characterized by an increase in appetite with a decrease in body weight,
- itching of the skin,
- dry mucous membranes,
- sensitivity level change,
- constipation, followed by diarrhea.
Laboratory indicators also change. The glucose level in the blood from a finger becomes higher than 5.6 mmol / L, from a vein - above 6 mmol / L. Urine sugar (glucosuria) may appear.
Why are glucose levels up?
Carbohydrates, in particular, monosaccharides, are considered the main source of energy for humans. Energy processes are important for the functioning of all organs and systems of the body.
When ingested with food, carbohydrates are broken down into simple components and absorbed through the wall of the digestive tract into the blood. The whole circulatory system is directly connected with the liver.
This is the purification from toxins, the further processing of organic substances to glucose.
The process of splitting occurs around the clock, even if a person is resting. A certain amount of glucose enters the cells (using insulin) to ensure their vital activity, the rest - to the muscles and adipose tissue.
Indicators of glucose in the body are regulated by a certain part of the endocrine apparatus (pituitary gland and pancreas). The pituitary gland “orders” the pancreas to produce enough hormone to lower blood sugar by sending it to the cells. Infectious diseases, stress, physical activity require correction of the amount of synthesized insulin.
Healthy Blood Sugar Support Scheme
With diabetes, this mechanism is disrupted. If the pancreas is not able to produce the required amount of the hormone, an insulin-dependent type of disease develops. Type 2 diabetes (non-insulin-dependent) is characterized by sufficient synthesis of insulin, but the body's cells lose their sensitivity to it, which means that a decrease in blood sugar also does not occur.
Important! Hyperglycemia can become a symptom of cirrhosis, hepatitis, pituitary pathology.
Medicines will help to quickly lower blood sugar. The first type of “sweet disease” requires insulin therapy. For therapeutic purposes, drugs of different duration of action and time of onset of effect are used.
- Means of short action - this includes ultrashort and short insulins. A decrease in blood sugar occurs after 10-45 minutes from the time of administration of the drug. Representatives - Actrapid, Humulin Regular, Novorapid.
- Prolonged insulins are medicinal substances whose effect develops within a few hours from the moment of injection and lasts up to 24 hours. The group includes medium and long-acting insulins (Lantus, Levemir, Protofan).
In addition, hormonal drugs vary in origin. They can be synthesized from the pancreas of cattle, pigs or can be analogues of human insulin. The analog form is obtained using a specific strain of Escherichia coli by replacing amino acid residues in the hormone molecules.
The introduction of insulin - the basis of replacement therapy for diabetes
There are drugs in the form of tablets that can effectively lower glucose. They are usually prescribed for type 2 diabetes mellitus. Each group of oral drugs that are aimed at lowering blood sugar has an effect on a specific link in the mechanism of the development of the disease.
Vitamins for diabetes
- Derivatives of sulfonylureas. Stimulation of insulin-secreting cells helps to get rid of hyperglycemia. Representatives - Maninil, Glyrid, Diabeton. Medicines in this group can reduce glycated hemoglobin by 2%.
- Biguanides. Reducing blood sugar occurs by transporting it to the cells and tissues of the body. The group is not used for renal and heart failure, since the risk of developing ketoacidosis increases several times. Metformin will help to quickly bring down sugar.
- Thiazolidinedione derivatives. Means improve the sensitivity of cells to the hormone of the pancreas. It is not possible to quickly reduce blood sugar levels with these drugs. Their action begins a few weeks after the start of use.
- Meglitinides. Representatives - Starlix, Novonorm. Medicines are directly dependent on glucose indicators. The higher its level, the more drugs stimulate the work of insulin-secreting cells.
- Combined funds. Medicinal substances, which simultaneously include several active components of different actions, belong.
Important! The selection of therapy is carried out by the doctor individually. Take into account the state of compensation of the disease, periods of hyperglycemia, the characteristics of the patient's body.
As a rule, specialists are not limited to prescribing medications. Prerequisites are a low-carb diet, physical activity and normalization of the psycho-emotional background.
A decrease in blood sugar occurs after active pastime and training, since these processes are accompanied by the expenditure of energy resources. Excessive loads are not allowed. It is better to take time for hiking, yoga, swimming, cycling.
Yoga - permissible level of physical activity with hyperglycemia
Physical activity is allowed if the sugar content in capillary blood is not higher than 15 mmol / L, since more critical numbers cause the opposite effect.
It is proved that the method of physical activity increases the sensitivity of cells and body tissues to insulin. An increase in glucose tolerance was noted in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus during a one-year training program with special programs. With type 1 disease, a sufficient level of activity allowed to reduce the need for insulin to 20 units per day.
Diet therapy is another effective way that lowers sugar. It is used as a separate method and as a part of a comprehensive treatment. The principles of such nutrition are as follows:
- refusal of sugar, use of sweeteners,
- decrease in carbohydrate intake, the use of polysaccharides rich in fiber and other dietary fiber,
- restriction of proteins of animal origin, preference is given to plant protein substances,
- fractional frequent meals,
- Compliance with individually calculated daily calorie intake,
- restriction of salt and liquid (water not more than 1.5 liters per day).
When compiling the menu, the glycemic index of products is taken into account - an indicator that indicates the rate of increase in glucose in the blood after eating a particular dish. In the diet, it is recommended to include a number of products that can bring down the level of glycemia to normal levels.
If sugar is elevated, blueberries and an infusion of its leaves should be consumed. Every day you need to eat up to 2 glasses of berries.
To prepare a medicinal infusion, a teaspoon of finely chopped leaves is poured into a glass of boiling water. After half an hour, the resulting solution is filtered and drunk during the day.
In addition to the hypoglycemic effect, blueberries have a significant amount of binders, acids, essential oils and vitamins in the composition.
Blueberries - a berry that can lower blood glucose
This "resident" of the bed consists of more than 95% water, has low glycemic index. Fasting days on the basis of cucumbers help the diabetics well (it is recommended to eat 1.8-2 kg of vegetables per day).
Important! In the days of the "cucumber" diet, it is better to exclude physical activity in order to prevent the development of hypoglycemia (lowering glucose values below normal).
The main substance in the composition of the "earthen pear" is inulin. This is a polysaccharide, which is a representative of dietary fiber. Used in industry to produce fructose. Inulin has the following properties:
- normalizes the digestive tract, restoring the intestinal microflora,
- lowers blood glucose
- removes excess cholesterol from the body,
- improves blood formation processes.
Jerusalem artichoke, which lowers sugar levels, has this effect also due to the presence of chromium in the composition. This is the second active ingredient that can control glycemia without drugs. Chromium affects the activity of insulin, reduces insulin resistance.
The daily use of juices from radish, cabbage, potatoes, beets, zucchini and tomatoes has the following effects:
- eliminates hyperglycemia,
- removes fluid from the body,
- normalizes cholesterol,
- restores digestion processes.
A herbal product, which is not only an aromatic substitute for coffee, but also a medicinal substance. A glucose-lowering chicory has a similar effect due to the presence of inulin in the composition. The product contains a number of vegetable glycosides, essential oils, organic acids, bioflavonoids, vitamins and trace elements.
Chicory - a drink with healing properties
Important! All of the above products can be eaten and drunk with any type of “sweet disease”. In addition to reducing the numbers of sugar in the blood, dishes based on them can saturate the body of diabetics with all vital substances.
The elimination of hyperglycemia is possible and folk remedies. Effective recipes are passed down from generation to generation. However, it should be remembered that such methods should be used only after consulting with your healthcare professional.
Mix the chicken egg (raw) with half a glass of lemon juice. Drink an hour before meals three times a day. The course is 3 days. Repeat treatment is allowed after 10 days.
Rinse the roots of dandelion thoroughly, chop. Pour a teaspoon of the resulting mass with a glass of boiling water. Strain after 30 minutes. Drink the solution during the day.
Pour linden blossom with water (at the rate of 1 cup of raw material per 1.5 liters of liquid). After boiling, reduce the heat to the maximum and simmer for 15 minutes. Strain. Use instead of drinking water.
A pinch of turmeric brew in a glass of boiling water. Insist for 40 minutes. Take morning and evening.
Plantain juice (purchased at a pharmacy or made at home) take 2 tbsp. thrice a day.
To enhance the effectiveness of therapy, it is recommended to combine traditional medicine and the use of folk remedies. A persistent decrease in glucose levels to normal numbers indicates a positive result of treatment.
How to lower blood sugar: how can this be done quickly?
An excess of sugar leads to a pathology called hyperglycemia, which is accompanied by a disease called diabetes mellitus. This disease is accompanied by serious complications. Therefore, diabetics must know how to lower sugar, which will be discussed in more detail in our material.
Reasons for the increase
In a blood test, the norm of glucose (sugar) in the female and male population will be the same. But the reasons for which hyperglycemia develops are slightly different.
The glucose rate among the male population is 3-5.5 mmol.
The main reasons for the increase in glucose include:
- Taking medications (without a prescription).
- Cushing's syndrome - a malfunction of the brain, an increase in the size of the adrenal glands.
- Suspicion of a stroke.
- Bad habits (smoking, frequent drinking).
- Hard physical work.
- Liver diseases, such as cirrhosis.
- Wrong diet.
- Excess weight.
- An excess of growth hormone (acromegaly).
- Epileptic seizures.
Deviations should be observed among the female population older than 40 years. Women have a greater tendency to overweight and stressful situations than men.
In addition, the causes of sugar increase are:
- long-term use of contraceptives,
- premenstrual period
- diseases of the gastrointestinal tract
- thyroid pathology,
- lack of vitamin B,
- taking medications such as: Rituximab, Aspeginase, Niacin, Corticosteroids,
- passive lifestyle
- genetic predisposition.
Signs of an Increase in Sugar
To identify symptoms of high sugar, you should pay attention to the general condition of the body.So, the main signs that indicate a high sugar content include:
- Fatigue and weakness.
- Nausea and dizziness.
- Frequent urination.
- Dry mouth (even at night).
- Sudden weight loss.
- Visual impairment.
- Increased appetite.
- Cramps or numbness in the limbs.
- Slow healing of wounds.
- Arrhythmia (heart rhythm disturbance).
- Drowsiness and decreased concentration.
- Itchy skin.
- Smell of acetone (from the mouth).
- Noisy breathing.
All of these signs develop gradually, as diabetes (and other diseases) develops. If more than 7 symptoms are found, it is worth taking a sugar test and consult a therapist.
A feature of the diet is the use of foods with a low glycemic index (the rate of development of carbohydrates by the body).
During the diet, it is worth lowering sugar with the following foods and drinks:
- Vegetables and fruits
- Sour-milk products (kefir, fermented baked milk)
- Cereals, in particular buckwheat, rice
- Hard Pasta
- Chicory, green, linden tea
When eating food, it is worth observing a number of rules, namely:
- you need to eat at least 5 times a day in small portions,
- Before exercise, you need to consume quickly digestible carbohydrates, for example, porridge, jacket potatoes, corn, carrots,
- it is necessary to reduce the consumption of coffee and other products containing caffeine (cola, black tea, hot chocolate, chocolate baked goods),
- exclude alcohol
- before going to bed, you need to eat protein food,
- cooking technique should be one of the following: steaming, cooking, stewing,
- the use of ordinary water is not less than 1.5 liters (juice, tea, sparkling water do not apply to water).
To create a daily menu, you should pay attention to such products as:
- Breakfast: two boiled eggs, a salad of vegetables with olive oil, unsweetened tea, boiled rice, two slices of low-fat cheese.
- Snack: a glass of milk (with a low fat content), unsweetened fruit of medium size, 30 grams of cheese.
- Lunch: soup on meat (low-fat) broth, vegetable salad, a portion of fish dishes, cereals, boiled meat.
- Dinner: stewed chicken or rabbit (150 grams), vegetable side dish, chicory, 3 boiled potatoes, fish, mushrooms, vegetable salad.
In addition to changing the diet, it is worth doing sports within reasonable limits. The following types of workouts are recommended for lowering sugar:
- walks of at least 1 hour (on average - up to 5 kilometers),
- breathing exercises,
- skiing, cycling,
To get the result, training should be stable, but not too tiring. The average duration is from 30 minutes to 1.5 hours.
In addition to diet and exercise, doctors recommend a course of treatment with medication. So, to lower sugar, it is necessary to take tablets with a high sugar content, for example, Glucagon, Acarbose.
Medicines should be divided into 3 subgroups, namely:
- To isolate insulin - Amaril, Diabeton MV, Maninil - act up to 24 hours.
- Drugs that increase insulin sensitivity - Siofor, Avandia, Aktos - are most often prescribed in case of excess weight.
- Medicines that can reduce the absorption of carbohydrates.
In severe situations, intramuscular injection of glucagon or fractional injections of corticosteroids - hydrocortisone (or adrenaline) is performed.
Taking medications is not recommended in the following cases: heart failure, liver or kidney disease, the period of gestation, stroke, coma, individual intolerance to the drugs.
How to quickly normalize sugar levels?
With a sharp increase in sugar, you can take one (or several) of the following measures:
- eat a piece of sugar or something sweet
- drink sweet (vegetable or berry) juice,
- drink chicory or ginger (green) tea,
- drink a glass of milk
- eat blueberries or prepare a decoction as follows: brew one teaspoon of berries in a glass of hot water, then wait 30 minutes to strain the drink, and drink the third part of the glass. The resulting tincture must be drunk during the day for three doses,
- eat buckwheat
- eat fresh cucumbers
- eat grapefruit
- eat a little white cabbage,
- apply traditional medicine recipes (read more in the next chapter),
- drink 100 grams of strong alcohol (vodka, cognac).
How to reduce sugar using folk recipes?
To regulate sugar levels using traditional medicine, you can choose one (or several) of the following recipes:
- Dandelion - you need to take 200 ml of boiled water and mix with one teaspoon of the roots of the plant. Infusion period: 2 hours. The resulting tincture should be taken 4 times a day (3 tablespoons).
- Burdock - in hot water (200 ml) you need to add 20 grams of leaves or roots of the plant. The resulting solution must be put in a water bath for 10 minutes and then stand the tincture for 30 minutes. After straining, it is worth taking 1 tablespoon (before meals).
- Blackhead - a teaspoon of the roots or leaves of the blackhead is added to a glass of boiled water, the number of doses per day is 3 times 1 tablespoon each.
- Pink Rhodiola: Half a liter of vodka should be mixed with 50 grams of chopped Rhodiola root. The infusion period is 7 days. Admission: 10 drops should be added to water and taken 3 times a day before meals.
- Rosehip - one tablespoon of rose hip should be mixed with 2 cups of boiled water. After 15 minutes, the tincture is filtered. You need to drink half a glass 2 times a day.
- Bird cherry - you need to mix 1 tablespoon of fruit with a glass of water. The mixed solution must be boiled for 3 minutes. Tincture can be taken 2 hours after infusion before meals (3 times a day). The course of treatment is 30 days.
- Horseradish - it is necessary to mix horseradish (previously grated) with sour milk in a ratio of 1:10. Reception: 3 times a day for a tablespoon (before meals).
In drugstores, you can buy ready-made herbs, for example, Arfazetin (consists of chamomile, St. John's wort, horsetail, rose hip, beans, blueberries).
To learn more about how you can lower your blood sugar, see the following video for more information:
With increased sugar, it is worth controlling the level of glucose using various methods, which are discussed in more detail in our material.
The blood glucose level is not the same throughout the day. Highest sugar — in the afternoon, 1-2 hours after a meal. If its level exceeds the mark of 3.5-5.5 mmol / l on an empty stomach or 7.5 mmol / l after eating, a person has increased blood sugar. What this means and how serious the situation can be found out only with the doctor.
It is enough to simply recognize the problem, if you know what signs indicate high blood sugar. Symptoms in men and women are almost the same:
- dry mouth and constant thirst,
- cardiac arrhythmia,
- itchy skin and peeling,
- unstable breathing rhythm,
- pungent acetone from the mouth,
- visual impairment
- numbness of the limbs
- deterioration of the reparative ability of the body.
Symptoms of Hyperglycemia - Test Yourself
If you notice at least 3-4 symptoms, you must definitely go to the hospital to check the glucose level in the body.
Changes in body functions
Since certain disorders cause high blood sugar, the symptoms in an adult have an explanation. Glucose attracts water, and therefore, with its excess, the body experiences dehydration, which is expressed in itching, dry mucous membranes and constant thirst. A large amount of water does not compensate for it, but only leads to polyuria.
Since existing insulin does not have time to process glucose, there are signs of increased blood sugar such as fatigue and headaches. To compensate for the lack of energy, fats and muscle fibers are processed, so the patient can begin to lose weight, and ketone metabolic products cause the smell of acetone.
It will also be useful for you to find out which foods lower blood sugar on our website.
Changes in energy metabolism
Due to energy starvation, cells become unable to quickly repair damaged tissues, from where non-healing ulcers appear on the skin. Also, high blood sugar can distort the hormonal background of a person, causing malfunctions in women and problems with potency in men.
Further consequences of hyperglycemia are expressed in the development of type 1 or type 2 diabetes. If the glucose level exceeds 11.5 mmol / L, a hyperglycemic coma develops, which can become irreversible and lead to the death of the patient.
Treatment and prevention
If there is a tendency to jumps in glucose levels, it makes sense to purchase a home blood glucose meter. For diabetics, this apparatus is a must.
You should immediately consult a doctor as soon as an increase in blood sugar is noticed. Symptoms and treatment are specified by a specialist. Additionally, such analyzes are carried out:
- a standard blood or plasma sugar test,
- glucose tolerance test
- blood test for glycated hemoglobin.
Further methods for reducing indicators are selected individually.
First aid and therapy
People with diabetes are very difficult in everyday life. At any time, glucose levels can become critical. In this case, first aid should consist in lowering its level below 11.5 mmol / l.
A special injection of insulin will quickly help lower blood sugar. Additionally, the patient must be provided with a plentiful drink. It is best to use mineral water without gas with the addition of soda. This will help normalize the water balance and remove toxins from the body.
People with hyperglycemia are prescribed drugs to lower their blood sugar. In diabetes, insulin injection is a must. Without a dose of insulin, the body is not able to process sugar properly, and a person can fall into a coma. Vitamins are also prescribed to maintain a weakened body.
A prerequisite is a diet. The menu should consist of foods with a low glycemic index.
From the diet you need to exclude foods that significantly increase blood sugar. What increases glucose:
- sugar and sweeteners,
- flour products, especially buns,
- pickles and pickles,
- fat and fatty meat,
- smoked meats and sausages,
- rich soups
- semi-finished products
- fast food,
- sweet soda and packaged juices.
Create a daily menu of the following products:
- green tea,
- non-fat milk
- eggs in moderation,
- Fish and seafood,
- salads and spinach,
- fruits in moderation, except bananas and grapes.
Since it is difficult to quickly lower blood sugar without drugs, such a diet should be present for at least a month. In the future, you need to protect yourself from harmful products and control glucose levels.
In folk medicine, there are also many ways to reduce blood sugar. Mostly recipes are based on the use of herbal preparations. Some plants can stimulate the production of insulin and remove excess glucose, as well as have a symptomatic effect on the body. You can buy a similar fee at any pharmacy or prepare yourself.
Herbal teas - a tool for the treatment and prevention of hyperglycemia
What reduces blood sugar:
- dandelion root,
- rice straw
- bean pods
Decoctions are drunk in courses of 2-4 weeks intermittently or used in small doses, as a prophylactic for hyperglycemia. Since it is ineffective to treat high blood sugar exclusively with home methods, you need to combine them with the therapy prescribed by your doctor.
The role of physical activity
Effectively accelerates metabolic processes in the body and stimulates the processing of sugar moderate physical activity. To eliminate excess glucose, it is recommended to do morning exercises daily. Hiking, jogging, yoga, skiing, Nordic walking, etc. will also help reduce sugar levels.
|SOURCE SUGAR||LOAD TYPE||RESULT|
|5.1 mmol / l||Running for 30 minutes||Hypoglycemia|
|6.2 mmol / l||Swimming for 40 minutes||Hypoglycemia or sugar will drop to about 4.2 mmol / L, but hypoglycemia will not occur|
|8.0 mmol / L||Hourly walk at a leisurely pace||Sugar 5.6 mmol / L. those. normal|
|14.0 mmol / L||Two hours of work in the country||Sugar 7-8 mmol / L. those. falls|
|17.5 mmol / l||Three hours of skiing||Sugar will drop to 12–13 mmol / L, or rise to 20 mmal / L, in the latter case, acetone may appear|
Table: The effect of physical activity on sugar levels
Sport and proper nutrition are not only methods of treating hyperglycemia, but also excellent prevention, not only of this problem, but also of many other diseases.
We recommend studying similar materials:
- 1. Hemostasis system: why take a blood coagulation test
- 2. Autoimmune hemolytic anemia in children: what is missing and how is it manifested
- 3. How to choose a diet by blood type: we are losing weight together
- 4. Causes and dangers of increasing basophils in children
- 5. The level of basophils in adults has decreased: how to treat basophilia
- 6. Causes of an increase or decrease in neutrophils in a blood test in children?
- 7. Norms of the content of neutrophils in the blood and what functions they perform
Symptoms of High Blood Sugar
- constant fatigue
- frequent urination
- dry mouth and constant thirst,
- decreased vision
- noticeable weight loss,
- increased weather sensitivity when changing weather.
The most common symptom is persistent thirst and dry mouth. In no case should they be ignored; it is worth visiting a clinic to take a blood test for sugar.
Carbonated drinks can cause high blood sugar, so sweets and chocolates should be excluded from your diet. If there is a great desire to eat something sweet, it is worth replacing these products with dried fruits, honey or fresh fruits.
How to reduce sugar pills
With an increase in blood sugar, many resort to medications. To lower it, the main medication is insulin. In very severe cases, it is administered intravenously with a dropper, but with normal health, subcutaneous administration will suffice.
Also, patients use pills, which are divided into two groups: with the content of biguanides and sulfonylureas.
Biguanides include Gliformin, Siofor, Metfogamma, Glucofage. Tablets are available in various dosages, their pluses are that they do not stimulate the pancreas, thereby preventing it from being overloaded.
The second type is Glibenclamide, Gliclazide, which remove sugar very smoothly, without sudden bursts and surges during the day.
What to do if your blood glucose changes
The absorption of sugar into the blood occurs only after its breakdown into glucose and fructose. This is a normal process that ensures the effective functioning of the brain. If the sugar level exceeded the permissible norms, then excess glucose begins to be deposited in the liver and striated muscles.
Such accumulation can lead to the development of diabetes mellitus, gout, atherosclerosis, and hypertension.At the same time, the pancreas of a sick person who is abusing sugar naturally reduces the production of a normal amount of insulin, because of which the body may lose the ability to stock up on vital energy.
The normal level of sugar in the blood of an adult healthy person is considered to be 3.3 - 6.1 mmol / L. These numbers may fluctuate depending on the characteristics of the body. If these norms are reduced, hypoglycemia develops, which disrupts the functions of the brain.
Symptoms of hypoglycemia are tremor of the extremities, a constant feeling of hunger, light dizziness, confused consciousness. This is a very dangerous disease, in which it is necessary to provide medical assistance as soon as possible, otherwise glycemic coma may occur.
After eating, sometimes a short-term increase in glucose occurs - this can lead to hyperglycemia. This condition is not a pathology, in view of the short duration of the effect. Therefore, treatment is not required.
In order to measure blood sugar at home, you can use the meter.
If symptoms are found that indicate high or low blood sugar, you should definitely contact a medical institution to provide assistance.
After the medications prescribed by the doctor, the treatment can be supplemented with a special diet, the use of traditional medicine and adequate physical exertion.
Cereals and seeds for effective sugar reduction
Buckwheat, oats and flax seeds have proven themselves as a good sugar-lowering product.
• Buckwheat is ground to a powder state in a coffee grinder. One tablespoon of cereal in the evening is poured with a glass of kefir or yogurt and left overnight. In the morning on an empty stomach they drink this healing infusion. Buckwheat helps reduce high carbohydrates.
• To reduce sugar with oats, it will take at least a month to get a lasting result. 100 grams of crude oats is poured half a liter of water and kept in a water bath for 20 minutes. Then they remove it from the bath and let it brew for 1 hour. Take half a glass before meals three times a day, after straining.
• Flax seeds are ground in a coffee grinder. 1 teaspoon of the powder is poured into a glass of boiling water and insisted for half an hour. This mixture is drunk at a time. Usually, after two to three hours, the blood sugar level decreases.
Blood sugar lowering vegetables
In addition to cereals and flax seeds, sugar can be brought down by eating some vegetables or juices from them.
• Chop the onions and add cold water for 2 hours. Before each meal, drink half a glass of this infusion. Onion juice effectively lowers blood glucose.
• Jerusalem artichoke or earthen pear is useful not only for the gastrointestinal tract, it also helps treat diabetes. Regularly add Jerusalem artichoke to your diet fresh or dried.
• Eating fresh cucumbers daily helps lower sugar levels to normal. They can be consumed in the form of salads or separately.
• Some vegetable juices are also good for diabetes. These include potato, beetroot, cabbage and radish. They are taken individually, alternating daily, in half a glass 20 minutes before each meal.
Medicinal plants to combat high sugar
• Try to keep cranberries, blueberries and lingonberries on your table throughout the year. These berries are very effective in combating high blood sugar.
And it does not matter in what form you will eat them. They can be fresh, dried, frozen. Berries can be added to tea, make fruit drinks, juices, boil jelly.
Also, the use of these berries normalizes our entire genitourinary system.
• Grind a large horseradish root (at least 20 centimeters long and about 2 centimeters thick) and 10 cloves of garlic. Put it all in a liter jar and fill the top with dark unfiltered beer.
This mixture is infused for 10 days in a warm, dark place. After insisting, the first two to three days, take 1 teaspoon of this tincture three times a day before meals.
After 3 days, take one tablespoon, also before meals 3 times a day.
• Young spring dandelion contains natural insulin. Dandelion leaves are added to salads, and infusion is made from the roots: 1 teaspoon of chopped roots is poured with a glass of boiling water, insisted for half an hour and drunk in a sip all day.
• Grind clean plantain leaves and squeeze juice out of them. For the treatment of diabetes, this juice is drunk 1 teaspoon three times a day.
How to lower blood sugar with a diet
You can normalize your blood sugar with a specific diet. Vitamins and minerals that are found in certain foods will help increase the body's sensitivity to insulin.
- In your daily menu, you should enter fiber, which helps to remove excess sugar - these are walnuts, seafood, flax seeds.
- Consume foods high in protein regularly that have a low insulin response - these are legumes and fresh vegetables.
- Completely refuse sugar, confectionery and sweet juices.
- Increase the intake of clean, preferably melt water per day to 2 liters.
- Eat food in small portions, do not overeat.
- When cooking, it is advisable to use olive oil, which contributes to better absorption of insulin by the cells of our body.
Blood Sugar Reducing Products
To prevent many diseases, including diabetes, you should know what products can help with this. With an increase in glucose, the attending physician recommends a strict diet. What to eat with high sugar in the blood and urine:
- whole grains and legumes
- seafood: lobsters, spiny lobsters, crabs,
- vegetables: radishes, Jerusalem artichoke, carrots, red beets, onions, garlic, corn, pumpkin, zucchini,
- fruits: cherry, lemon, blackcurrant, avocado, grapefruit,
- greens: celery, spinach,
- nuts: cashews, almonds, walnuts, peanuts.
Prohibited Diabetes Products
Some foods can cause an increase in glucose, so they should be excluded from your diet. These include:
- bakery products and any other pastries,
- sweets and chocolate
- freshly squeezed sweet juices,
- sweet fruits such as: banana, grapes, strawberries,
- pickled vegetables.
Potato dishes, dairy products, fatty meats are also subject to restrictions.
Exercise with high sugar
Diabetes “loves” lazy people very much. Therefore, whenever possible, try to expose your body to a feasible load throughout the day. It can even be ordinary walking at an average pace of at least an hour a day.
Any physical movements saturate the cells of our body with oxygen, thereby improving blood circulation. Accordingly, fat is burned, body weight and blood sugar are reduced.