We offer you to read the article on the topic: "proper nutrition for diabetes mellitus type I diet menu" with comments from professionals. If you want to ask a question or write comments, you can easily do this below, after the article. Our specialist endoprinologist will definitely answer you.
From the article you will learn how to eat with type 1 diabetes, what foods can be eaten without restrictions, and what is forbidden to eat. You will learn how to count bread units with a low-carb diet.
|Video (click to play).|
Sometimes patients who first encounter a disease such as type 1 diabetes mellitus believe that it’s enough not to eat sugar so that its level in the blood under the influence of insulin decreases and remains normal.
But nutrition with type 1 diabetes is not at all this. Blood glucose increases with the breakdown of carbohydrates. Therefore, the amount of carbohydrates that a person eats during the day should correspond to the norm of insulin taken. The body needs this hormone to break down sugar. In healthy people, it produces beta cells of the pancreas. If a person develops type 1 diabetes, then the immune system mistakenly starts attacking beta cells. Because of this, insulin ceases to be produced and treatment has to be started.
|Video (click to play).|
The disease can be controlled with medication, exercise, and certain foods. When choosing what to eat for diabetes 1, you need to limit your diet to carbohydrates.
Diet for type 1 diabetes prohibits the use of fast carbohydrates. Therefore, baking, sweets, fruits, sugary drinks are excluded from the menu so that the blood glucose level does not rise above normal.
Carbohydrates that break down for a long time should be present in the diet, but their number is strictly normalized. This is the main task: to adjust the diet for type 1 diabetes so that the taken insulin can cope with the sugar in the blood obtained from the products. At the same time, vegetables and protein foods should become the basis of the menu. For a patient with type 1 diabetes, a varied diet is made with a high content of vitamins and minerals.
For patients with diabetes, a conditional measure of 1 XE (bread unit) was invented, which equals 12 g of carbohydrates. Exactly as many of them are contained in one half of a bread slice. For the standard take a piece of rye bread weighing 30 g.
Tables have been developed in which the main products and some dishes have already been converted to XE, so that it is easier to make a menu for type 1 diabetes.
Referring to the table, you can select the products for diabetes and adhere to the carbohydrate norm corresponding to the dose of insulin. For example, 1XE is equal to the amount of carbohydrates in 2 tbsp. spoonful of buckwheat porridge.
On a day, a person can afford to eat about 17-28 XE. Thus, this amount of carbohydrates must be divided into 5 parts. For one meal you can eat no more than 7 XE!
In fact, what to eat with diabetes 1 is not difficult to figure out. With type 1 diabetes, the diet should be low-carb. Products with diabetes low in carbohydrates (less than 5 g per 100 g of product) are not considered XE. These are almost all vegetables.
Small doses of carbohydrates that can be eaten at 1 time are supplemented with vegetables that can be eaten with almost no limits.
The list of products that you can not limit when compiling a diet for patients with type 1 diabetes:
- zucchini, cucumbers, pumpkin, squash,
- sorrel, spinach, salad,
- green onions, radishes,
- pepper and tomatoes
- cauliflower and white cabbage.
To satisfy the hunger in an adult or a child helps protein foods, which should be consumed in small quantities during breakfast, lunch and dinner. Diet for type 1 diabetics must contain protein products. This is especially important for creating a menu for type 1 diabetes in children.
On the Internet you can find more detailed XE tables, which have lists with a list of ready-made dishes. You can also find tips on what you can eat with diabetes to make it easier to create a menu for a diabetic.
It is advisable to create a detailed menu for a patient with type 1 diabetes for each day with recipes in order to reduce the total time for cooking.
Knowing how many carbohydrates are in 100g, divide this number by 12 to get the number of bread units in this product.
1XE increases plasma sugar by 2.5 mmol / L, and 1 U of insulin lowers it by an average of 2.2 mmol / L.
At different times of the day, insulin acts differently. In the morning, the dose of insulin should be higher.
The amount of insulin in order to process glucose obtained from 1 XE
Approximate weekly menu for type 1 diabetic
Type 1 diabetes is a very unpleasant pathology, which implies an integrated approach to its treatment. Almost every diabetologist recommends that patients review their diet, and also advises giving preference to certain dishes. This approach allows you to stabilize the metabolism of sugar, to achieve normalization of glycemia, to prevent its sharp jumps. And for this you should develop an individual menu for type 1 diabetes, an approximate menu for a week with recipes will be even better. Therefore, it will be beneficially reflected in the state of internal organs, which will only improve the prognosis for the life of a diabetic.
The basis for the nutrition of a patient suffering from type I diabetes is the principle of replacing foods with a high glycemic index with those with a low glycemic index. People should also know how to count bread units correctly. One bread unit equals one slice of bread, that is 25 grams, which contain about 12 grams of carbohydrates. Doctors do not recommend consuming more than 2.5 bread units.
This is quite an important point, because based on the amount of carbohydrates or bread units obtained, dosages of insulin can be titrated. This applies not only to the daily number of units of action, but also to what is introduced immediately before a meal.
Patients with this disease have a fairly extensive list of approved products. Some doctors do not even prohibit their patients from consuming sweets if they see that the control of the disease is very good, and the person is doing everything to continue this way.
Usually, various sweets are allowed in the case when there are training or work associated with heavy physical exertion. An ordinary person is allowed to eat the following.
- Yesterday's rye bread.
- Veal meat, beef, poultry breast.
- Soups based on vegetable broths.
- Low-fat fish.
- Eggs without yolk in unlimited quantities, yolk - a maximum of 2 per day.
- Hard pasta.
- Coffee or tea, while it does not have to be strong due to its effect on blood vessels.
- Freshly squeezed juices, store-bought, are not recommended.
- Butter and vegetable oils, but it is important that they are used for cooking. That is, sandwiches or salads with oil are prohibited.
- Dairy products - skim milk, kefir and cottage cheese, yogurt is possible only without additives. It is better to make them yourself from unsweetened fruits - citrus fruits, kiwi, unsweetened bananas.
Those people who have problems with excess weight, it is advisable to enrich the nutritious diet with cabbage, peas, cucumbers, other vegetables. They satisfy the feeling of hunger due to the high fiber content.
To maintain normal liver function, you should pay attention to oatmeal, which is cooked in water, cottage cheese and soy. It should be noted that the liver is under a very severe blow due to diabetes.
An extensive list is not only available for authorized products. The forbidden can also please with their variety. But, as mentioned above, sometimes they can be used, especially in those cases when the control over the disease is at the proper level. The most popular foods to avoid are:
- chocolate, especially milk, chocolates,
- lollipops, chewing gum,
- dough products with the exception of rye bread,
- smoked, spicy, fatty, fried, spicy and salty foods, this also applies to meat with fish,
- any alcohol
- carbonated drinks,
- rice or semolina porridge,
- boiled potatoes, especially young ones,
- jam, ice cream, jam,
- fatty dairy products,
- dried fruits.
With the restriction allowed watermelons, melons, zucchini, carrots. It is best to give preference to vegetables, as well as foods that are rich in fiber. They well satisfy hunger and slightly raise blood sugar.
Patients should receive no more than 1400 kcal daily. This figure is due to the fact that most diabetics have problems with excess weight, which must be reduced. If this problem is not, then you can slightly increase the amount of food consumed. Recipes for cooking often indicate that it is best to use a slow cooker for this purpose, since it does not require the addition of oil or fat.
The best diet is three meals a day, that is, three main meals, with one or two snacks. The main meals are related to short insulin injections.
Breakfast: includes 150 grams of barley with two slices of hard cheese. Bread as desired, tea or coffee should be weak. Sugar is prohibited.
Lunch: consists of 200 grams of a salad of cabbage, cucumbers, tomatoes or any other fresh vegetables. It’s best not to season them, but simply mix them thoroughly and eat in this form. Two steamed chicken breast cutlets are added to the salad, as well as about 200 grams of stewed cabbage. From liquid - borsch without frying, it is important, the broth should not be greasy.
For dinner, a salad of about 150 grams with a slice of chicken breast is also recommended.
Snacks can be made as follows: a glass of cottage cheese or 3 cheesecakes, a second snack - a glass of kefir.
For breakfast, you can eat an omelet consisting of two egg whites and one yolk. To it is added up to 100 grams of boiled veal, one tomato. Bread, tea, coffee as desired.
For lunch, it is very good to eat salad, as this is the largest meal. You need about 200 grams of vegetables, you can add 100 grams of chicken breast to it, or eat it separately. Another dish is pumpkin porridge, it also needs 100 grams.
The first snack consists of grapefruit and a glass of kefir.
For dinner - a serving of stewed cabbage with boiled fish.
Includes meat stuffed cabbage for breakfast. It is highly undesirable that they had rice. Serving - 200 grams, bread at will.
Lunch includes a salad, approximately 100 grams, a side dish - hard pasta with boiled meat or fish. Instead of tea, you can drink a glass of apple juice cooked at home.
Snack - one orange.
For dinner - casserole from low-fat cottage cheese, it can be up to 300 grams.
If it is convenient to count on the days of the week - Thursday, it will delight you with the following variety. The first meal is oatmeal cooked in water. You can add some fresh permitted fruits. For tea, you can take a couple of pieces of cheese, up to 100 grams.
For lunch - 150-200 grams of pickle, a slice of bread and a slice of stew.
A snack may consist of two to three slices of biscuit cookies.
For dinner, green beans with boiled meat or fish.
The diet on the fifth day includes lazy dumplings for breakfast, about 100 grams. A glass of kefir and a small handful of dried fruits are added to them. They are allowed when an energy supply is required before physical activity.
The second meal is a salad - 200 grams, baked potatoes - up to 100 grams and compote. It is important that the compote is cooked without added sugar.
Snack - fruit drink, also sugar free, about 1 cup, about 100 grams of baked pumpkin.
For dinner you can steam cutlets with salad.
Saturday can please a small piece of slightly salted salmon with an egg. If you remove the yolk from it, then you can eat 2-3 boiled protein. Tea or coffee at will, the main thing is to be sugar free.
For lunch - stuffed cabbage without rice, up to 200 grams, soup ladle without frying, the broth should not be greasy. You can slice rye bread.
Snack consists of two diabetic bread and a glass of kefir.
For dinner, you can eat 100 grams of steamed or boiled chicken, up to 100 grams of fresh peas, and up to 200 grams of stewed eggplant.
On Sunday, buckwheat on water with chicken stew for breakfast. The total amount of food is up to 300 grams.
For lunch - cabbage soup or soup on chicken or vegetable broth. You can add chicken cutlet to them, bread if desired.
Snack consists of 2-3 fresh plums and 100 grams of cottage cheese.
For dinner, a glass of kefir with a few biscuit cookies. You can still eat one small apple.
It should be noted that the portions are relatively approximate. They can expand depending on physical activity, and with regular training, doctors even specifically recommend adding any sweet foods to the diet. But, not every diabetic is actively involved in sports.
With this diet, you can also use all kinds of infusions of medicinal herbs. Rosehip broth is of particular benefit. They practically do not contain calories, if you do not add them honey, sugar, to sweeten them a little. They can be consumed absolutely at any time of the day. The amount of water is also not limited, it is useful even to healthy people.
This layout for the week implies the absence of one of the snacks between breakfast and lunch. This is due to fairly dense meals in the morning. But if there is a need or there is severe hunger, then it is better to satisfy it through vegetable salad, yogurt without additives or fruit.
Diet tables according to Pevzner are designed to accelerate the recovery of patients with various pathologies, as well as for the prevention of exacerbations of diseases. With diabetes, table number 9 is used, which is the most popular worldwide. The main principle is to limit salt, sugar and proper heat treatment of products - baking, steaming. This table is forbidden to stew or fry, but not categorically, minor amendments are possible.
The approximate daily layout has this form.
- For breakfast, dairy products with the lowest fat content - cottage cheese, milk or kefir, can be washed down with tea.
- The second breakfast, or, as they say abroad, lunch, includes pearl barley porridge with boiled meat without bread.
- Borsch for lunch must contain fresh cabbage, and its preparation should be on vegetable broth. Fruit jelly and a small amount of boiled meat are added to it.
- Any fruit is allowed for a snack between lunch and dinner, it is best an apple or citrus, but not sweet, like mandarin.
- For dinner, it is recommended to eat fish baked without batter, vegetable salad, best of all from cabbage and cucumbers, it can be seasoned with olive oil.
Sugar is replaced with sweeteners such as stevia. The diet is subject to adjustment, the main thing is to exclude from the menu all prohibited products.
A rather big problem is the development of diabetes in a child. Doctors in this situation recommend the appointment of a special carbohydrate diet, which can be up to 2/3 of the diet. One of the undesirable consequences of this step is the constant fluctuation of glycemia. They can provoke a significant deterioration in the condition of any patient. Therefore, the best way out of this situation is the use of dietary table No. 9 according to Pevzner.
To make the right menu, you must give preference to such products:
- meat - non-fat varieties, chicken, pork and lamb are excluded,
- vegetables - carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, any kind of cabbage,
- fruits - apples, peaches, cherries.
It is recommended to completely eliminate sugar in its pure form, as well as in additives to products such as compote, jam. For sweetening, you can replace it with sorbitol or fructose, but it is best to switch to stevia - a natural sweetener that contains virtually no carbohydrates and calories. Bakery products, pastries are also strictly prohibited.
Before starting this diet, the following should be considered.
- Hypoglycemia is possible, so you need to learn how to prevent them.
- Sugar needs to be controlled much more often, up to 7 times a day. This will allow you to prescribe the necessary dose of insulin.
- It is extremely important to protect the baby from stress and try to accustom him to about the same mode of motor and physical activity. This will stabilize insulin therapy, carbohydrate metabolism, as well as teach the baby to the regimen, which will favorably reflect on his health in the future.
Diabetes is not a sentence. And the fact that diabetics eat tasteless also cannot be considered true. If you show imagination, diversify your menu with all the allowed products, then the disease will remind yourself much less often.
Menus for type 1 diabetics for every day: nutrition and recipes
When diagnosing type 1 diabetes, a person needs to radically change his lifestyle. In addition to regular injections of the hormone insulin, you need to follow a special low-carbohydrate diet.
Nutrition for type 1 diabetes is aimed at stabilizing blood sugar levels to a healthy person. Also, observing diet therapy, the patient significantly reduces the risk of developing hyperglycemia and reduces the risk of complications on target organs.
Endocrinologists make a menu for type 1 diabetics for every day, taking into account the needs of the body for nutrients. Products for the menu are selected according to the glycemic index (GI). The following describes a diet for type 1 diabetes and an approximate menu, provides useful and tasty recipes.
According to this indicator, a diet is compiled for patients with diabetes of any type. The index shows the effect of any food on blood glucose after eating it.
That is, GI makes it clear how many carbohydrates the product contains. Low-scored foods are believed to be difficult to break down carbohydrates that patients need in their daily diets.
It should be borne in mind that heat treatment and the consistency of the dish can slightly increase the index. However, in this case there are exceptions. For example, carrots and beets. In fresh form they are allowed, but in boiled they have GI that is unacceptable for a diabetic.
There is an exception among fruits and berries. If juice is made from these products, then they will lose fiber, which is responsible for the uniform flow of glucose into the blood. Therefore, any fruit and berry juices are prohibited.
The index is divided into three groups:
- up to 49 units inclusive - low value, such products make up the main diet,
- 50 - 69 ED - the average value, such food is in the nature of exclusion and is allowed no more than twice a week,
- 70 units and above is a high value, such foods and drinks can increase blood sugar levels by 4 - 5 mmol / l.
In addition to the index, you should pay attention to the calorie content of food. So, some food does not contain glucose at all, therefore it has an index equal to zero. But their caloric content makes such products unacceptable in the presence of type 1 diabetes.
Such products include - lard, vegetable oils.
Food for type 1 diabetes should be fractional, in small portions, at least five times a day, six times is allowed. Water balance should be observed - at least two liters of fluid per day. You can calculate an individual rate, that is, for every calorie eaten, one milliliter of liquid is consumed.
It is forbidden to eat high-calorie dishes, as they contain bad cholesterol and contribute to the formation of excess body weight. The basic principles of diet therapy are suitable for overweight people. Subject to the standard diabetic menu for a week, the patient will lose weight up to 300 grams per week.
A properly selected nutrition system for patients with type 1 diabetes normalizes the work of all body functions.
Cooking for patients with type 1 diabetes is allowed in the following ways:
- for a couple
- in the microwave
- bake in the oven,
- stew on water
- fry in a teflon pan, without vegetable oil,
- in a slow cooker.
The diet for type 1 diabetes should be designed so that a person does not feel hungry, and at the same time does not overeat. If there is a strong desire to eat, then let's take a healthy snack, for example, 50 grams of nuts or a glass of any dairy product.
The patient's daily table must be formed so that there are products of animal and vegetable origin. Every day, eat vegetables, fruits, dairy products, meat or fish.
Since the body does not receive valuable vitamins and minerals, due to metabolic failures, it is extremely important to have good nutrition.
The menu developed below is suitable even for perfectly healthy children over seven years of age. The only thing worth considering in the menu for a child is that they need foods with high GI in food - watermelon, melon, white rice, beets, etc.
Nutrition in type 1 diabetes should be varied so that diabetics do not have a desire to eat “forbidden” foods and dishes. If the food is aimed at getting rid of excess weight, then it is worth using recipes for spicy dishes, so as not to increase appetite.
Unambiguously sticking to this menu is optional. First of all, you should take into account the taste wishes of people suffering from diabetes.
- for the first breakfast, prepare syrniki without sugar from fat-free cottage cheese, and green tea with lemon,
- for lunch, you can serve oatmeal in the water with dried apricots and prunes, tea,
- for lunch, the first served borscht without beets, buckwheat with boiled quail and vegetable salad from white cabbage and cucumbers,
- the snack should be light, so a glass of jelly on oatmeal and a slice of rye bread will be enough,
- first dinner - vegetable stew, perch baked in foil and weak coffee with low-fat cream,
- the second dinner will be at least a few hours in bed, the ideal option is a glass of any dairy product, such as yogurt.
Do not forget to count the number of consumed bread units for one meal in order to correctly adjust the dose of short or ultra-short insulin.
For breakfast on the second day, you can serve baked apples with honey and a glass of tea with a slice of bread made from durum flour. Do not be afraid of using a beekeeping product, the main thing is not to exceed the permissible daily rate - one tablespoon. Often, a natural product has an index of up to 50 units inclusive. In the presence of type 1 diabetes, such varieties are allowed - buckwheat, acacia or lime.
The second breakfast will be an omelet with milk and vegetables. Correct recipes for diabetic omelettes consist of only one egg, the rest of the eggs are replaced only with proteins.
This is due to the fact that the yolk contains an increased amount of bad cholesterol.
For lunch, you can cook borscht without beets, with tomato juice. Add boiled beef to the finished dish. Serve barley and fish steaks to the second. For a snack, cook in the microwave cottage cheese souffle with an apple. The first dinner will be stewed cabbage and boiled turkey, a slice of durum wheat bread. The second dinner is a glass of homemade yogurt.
- for the first breakfast, eat 200 grams of any fruit or berries, with a low index, and 100 grams of cottage cheese. In general, it is advisable to eat fruits in the first half of the day, so glucose delivered to them is absorbed faster by the body.
- lunch - barley porridge with liver patty, vegetable salad,
- lunch - pea soup stewed in tomato pollock, durum wheat pasta, tea,
- for a snack it is allowed to brew weak coffee with cream, eat a slice of rye bread and tofu cheese,
- first dinner - steamed vegetables, boiled quail, a slice of bread, tea,
- the second dinner - 50 grams of pine nuts and dried apricots, black tea.
On the fourth day, you can arrange unloading. This is for those who are overweight. On such a day, it is necessary to monitor blood sugar more carefully. Since the right diet for diabetics excludes starvation, the fourth day will consist mainly of protein foods.
Breakfast - 150 grams of fat-free cottage cheese and weak coffee. For lunch, omelette with steamed milk and boiled squid are served. Lunch will be a vegetable soup with broccoli and boiled chicken breast.
Snack - tea and tofu cheese. The first dinner is a salad of white cabbage and fresh cucumber, seasoned with olive oil, boiled hake. Finish the meal with a glass of low-fat kefir.
If a person with the first type of diabetes has no problems with being overweight, then you can use the following menu:
- breakfast No. 1 - applesauce, a slice of bread from buckwheat flour, a decoction of dried fruits,
- breakfast No. 2 - vegetable stew, boiled beef tongue,
- lunch - buckwheat soup, lentils, boiled beef and a slice of bread,
- snack - tea and muffin without sugar,
- dinner - buckwheat, stewed chicken liver, tea,
- dinner number 2 - a glass of ayran.
On the fifth day, you can start the meal with 200 grams of fruit and 100 grams of low-fat cottage cheese. For the second breakfast, for people with diabetes, you can cook pilaf only according to a special recipe, because the GI of white rice is quite high, which is why it falls into the category of prohibited foods. One of the most popular dishes is pilaf with brown rice. In terms of taste, it does not differ from white rice, it only takes a little longer, about 45 - 50 minutes.
Lunch will consist of fish soup, bean stew with tomato and beef and light coffee with skim milk. The first dinner - meatballs in tomato sauce from brown rice and minced chicken, a slice of rye bread. The second dinner - one apple and 100 grams of cottage cheese.
- breakfast No. 1 - 150 grams of currants and strawberries, 100 grams of whole cottage cheese,
- breakfast No. 2 - barley with onions and mushrooms, boiled egg,
- lunch - bean soup, boiled rabbit, barley porridge, salad from Beijing cabbage, carrots and fresh cucumber,
- snack - vegetable salad, tofu cheese,
- dinner No. 1 - vegetable stew, light beef stew, weak coffee with cream,
- dinner number 2 - a glass of fermented milk product.
For breakfast on the seventh day, you can treat the patient with pastries, for example, prepare a honey cake without sugar, sweetening it with honey. Also try to minimize the amount of wheat flour by replacing it with rye, buckwheat, oatmeal, chickpea or flaxseed. It should be borne in mind that such a dietary dish can be eaten no more than 150 grams per day.
The second breakfast will consist of eggplant stuffed with vegetables (tomatoes, sweet peppers), boiled eggs and slices of rye bread. For lunch, cook beetroot-free borscht on tomato, viscous wheat porridge and low-fat fish baked in the oven. For dinner, boil the squid and cook brown rice.
The second dinner is a glass of yogurt and a handful of dried fruits.
With type 1 diabetes, the diet must include a variety of recipes. This is necessary so that the patient is not "fed up" with food and does not have the urge to eat a prohibited product.
In cooking, it is important to consider that excess salt is not used. It loads the work of the kidneys, which are already burdened with a "sweet" disease.
One of the original recipes is stuffed eggplant. Stuffing for them should be prepared on their own from chicken, as the minced meat may contain fat.
The following ingredients will be required:
- two eggplants
- minced chicken - 400 grams,
- a few cloves of garlic
- two tomatoes,
- hard low-fat cheese - 150 grams,
- a tablespoon of olive oil,
- salt, ground black pepper.
Rinse the eggplant, cut it lengthwise and remove the core, so that you get "boats". Add minced salt and pepper, add the garlic passed through the press. Place the minced meat in eggplant boats.
Remove the peel from the tomato, sprinkling them with boiling water and making cross-shaped cuts on top. Pass the tomatoes through a meat grinder or chop in a blender, add finely chopped basil and a clove of garlic. Grease the minced sauce with the resulting sauce. Sprinkle eggplant boats with cheese, grated on a fine grater, put them on a baking tray, oiled. Cook in preheated to 180 With an oven for 45 - 50 minutes.
In addition to delicious dishes, you can diversify your diabetic table with citrus tea. Preparing a decoction of tangerine peels for diabetes is quite simple. The peel of one tangerine is torn into small pieces and poured with 200 milliliters of boiling water. Insist the broth for at least five minutes. Such citrus tea has not only a pleasant taste, but also has a beneficial effect on the patient's body - it increases the protective functions of the body and soothes the nervous system.
In the video in this article, several recipes are presented that can be included in the menu for type 1 diabetes.
The treatment of type 1 diabetes involves a set of measures, in particular, adherence to a special diet, which helps a diabetic to feel comfortable without a spike in blood sugar. So, about how to eat with such a serious diagnosis, we will tell in this material.
The basic principle of dietary nutrition for type 1 diabetes is to enrich your menu with those foods that have carbohydrates with a low glycemic index. To do this, you can navigate the following table:
Before you start eating, you should calculate the amount of carbohydrate content in it, using a special system of bread units, according to which the following formula is distinguished:
1 chl. units = 12 g of sugar or 1 chl. units = 25 g of bread.
Doctors allow patients to consume no more than 2.5 bread units per day.
You can find out how to correctly count bread units by watching a special video:
It is important to be able to count bread units, since it is precisely its quantity that affects the subsequent dose of injected insulin in order to “extinguish” the blood sugar. Moreover, not only the daily dose of insulin, but also the dose of “short” insulin (which the patient takes before meals) depends on these indicators.
The following foods are allowed in diabetic nutrition:
- Rye bread,
- soup on a vegetable broth or on a broth made of low-fat varieties of fish and meat,
- chicken breasts,
- vegetables from the allowed list,
- eggs (no more than two pieces per day),
- wholemeal pasta (at the same time it is necessary to reduce the amount of bread consumed per day),
- milk and kefir,
- cottage cheese (from 50 to 200 grams per day),
- weak coffee
- freshly squeezed juices from apples or oranges,
- butter and vegetable oil (preferably used only for cooking).
For patients who are overweight, nutritionists recommend including cabbage (fresh and pickled), spinach, green peas, and cucumbers with tomatoes in their diet. These products help to satisfy the feeling of hunger for a long time.
To preserve the function of the liver, which is constantly under attack with the diagnosis described, it is necessary to lean on products such as cottage cheese, soy, oatmeal.
There are a number of products that type 1 diabetics are strictly contraindicated:
- chocolate (in rare cases, dark chocolate is allowed, if approved by the attending physician),
- any sweets and candies,
- flour sweets
- smoked meats
- spicy, savory and savory dishes
- alcoholic drinks,
- bananas, watermelon, melon,
- dates and raisins,
- boiled potatoes, carrots, beets, zucchini,
- rice and semolina
- ice cream,
- dairy products with a high percentage of fat content.
In some cases, some prohibited products are still allowed on the menu, if approved by the attending physician.
The daily menu for diabetics is designed for calories up to 1400 kcal, which allows you to reduce weight if the patient is suffering from obesity. If there are no such problems, then you can increase the amount of servings depending on your needs.
- First meal: 0.1-0.2 kg of pearl barley porridge, 50 grams of hard cheese, a slice of rye bread and tea without sugar or weak coffee (you can add low-fat cream).
- The second meal: 0.1-0.2 kg of lettuce from any allowed vegetables, 0.2 kg of borsch on low-fat broth, two steamed cutlets, along with 0.2 kg of stewed cabbage, a slice of rye bread.
- Snack after lunch: 100 grams of cottage cheese or 3 cheesecakes, 100 grams of fruit jelly (without added sugar).
- Dinner: 130 grams of vegetable salad and 0.1 kg of cooked white meat. Half an hour before bedtime, you can drink a glass of low-fat kefir.
- First meal: Two-egg omelet, 60 grams of cooked veal, a slice of rye bread and one tomato, made from drinks tea without sugar or weak coffee.
- Dinner: 170 grams of salad from any allowed vegetables, 100 grams of chicken breast (baked or boiled), 100 grams of pumpkin porridge (without adding rice).
- Snack after lunch: One grapefruit and a glass of low-fat kefir.
- Dinner: 230 grams of stewed cabbage, 100 grams of cooked fish.
- Breakfast: 200 grams of meat stuffed cabbage (without the addition of rice), a slice of wholemeal bread and tea without granulated sugar.
- The second meal: 100 grams of salad from any allowed vegetables, 100 grams of spaghetti from wholemeal flour, 100 grams of cooked meat or fish, half a glass of freshly squeezed juice from apples (with sweetener).
- Snack after lunch: sugar-free fruit tea and one orange.
- Dinner: 270 grams of cottage cheese casserole.
- First meal: 200 grams of oatmeal with slices of fresh fruit from the allowed list, 70 grams of hard cheese and tea without sugar.
- Dinner: 170 grams of pickle, 100 grams of broccoli, a slice of rye bread, 100 grams of stewed lean meat.
- Snack after lunch: tea without sugar and 15 grams of unsweetened cookies (biscuit).
- Dinner: 170 grams of chicken or fish, 200 grams of green beans, tea without sugar.
- First meal: 100 grams of lazy dumplings, 0.2 kg of kefir and one apple or dried apricots / prunes.
- The second meal: 200 grams of salad from any allowed vegetables, 0.1 kg of baked potatoes, 0.2 kg of compote without sugar.
- Snack before dinner: 100 grams of baked pumpkin, 200 grams of unsweetened fruit drinks.
- Dinner: 100 grams of steamed cutlets, 0.2 kg of salad from any allowed vegetables.
- First meal: 30 grams of slightly salted salmon, one egg and tea without sugar.
- Dinner: 0.1-0.2 kg of stuffed cabbage (without the addition of rice), 0.2 kg of borscht on low-fat broth, a slice of rye bread.
- Snack after lunch: 2 loaves and 150 grams of low-fat kefir.
- Dinner: 0.1 kg of baked or boiled chicken, 100 grams of fresh peas, 170 grams of stewed eggplants.
- First meal: 200 grams of buckwheat cereal cooked in water, stewed chicken, tea without sugar or weak coffee.
- Dinner: 200 grams of cabbage soup or vegetable soup, two chicken cutlets, 0.1 kg of stewed beans in tomato sauce and a slice of rye bread.
- Snack after lunch: 100 grams of fresh plums and the same amount of low-fat cottage cheese.
- Dinner: 170 grams of low-fat kefir and 20 grams of unsweetened (biscuit) cookies, one apple.
This food system for 7 days allows the use of various herbal infusions, a rosehip broth will be especially useful. Herbal decoctions and infusions can be drunk at any time, the main thing is not to mix any additives in the form of sugar or honey.
Since this weekly diabetic menu includes hearty breakfasts and dinners, there is no need for a second breakfast. But, if in the interval between breakfast and lunch an unbearable feeling of hunger occurs, then you should not suffer - you can afford to have a bite with the same vegetable salad or eat natural yogurt and one fruit.
If you are interested in other methods of treating type 1 diabetes (except diet), we recommend that you familiarize yourself with alternative methods.
Diet number 9 - the most popular nutritional system for diabetes. The basic rule is to reduce salt intake to a minimum, as well as cook steamed dishes, bake or cook foods. You will have to refuse stewing and frying, but since the diet of this food system is not strict, in rare cases you can treat yourself.
The approximate menu of this diet for one day looks like this:
- Breakfast. Tea without granulated sugar, cottage cheese with a low percentage of fat content and the same milk.
- Lunch. Barley porridge with meat.
- Dinner. Borsch, which should include fresh cabbage (cooked in vegetable broth), fruit jelly, a slice of boiled meat or soy.
- An afternoon snack. One apple or one orange.
- Dinner. Cooked or baked fish (baked without batter) in milk sauce, fresh cabbage salad seasoned with olive oil.
Instead of sugar with diet No. 9, you can use fructose, sucrose and other sweeteners.
You can adjust your diet using lists of those products that are allowed in the menu of type 1 insulin-dependent diabetes.
If diabetes has been detected in a child, some experts recommend switching to a balanced carbohydrate diet, where carbohydrates make up 60% of the total diet. But, the consequence of such a diet is a constant jump in blood sugar from very high to very low, which negatively affects the well-being of children. So, it is better for children to follow the same diet No. 9, where the amount of carbohydrates consumed is reduced.
To make a child’s menu, you can regularly use the following products:
- Vegetable set - cucumber, tomato, cabbage, fresh carrots.
- Basket of berries and fruits - peach, raspberry, cherry, strawberry, apple.
- Meat basket - low-fat veal, chicken.
- Fructose and sorbitol sweets.
It is strictly forbidden for a child to give chocolate, jam, bakery products made of white flour.
Before a child goes on a low-carbohydrate diet, it is worth taking care of the following nuances:
- To be able to prevent hypoglycemia, for which it is necessary to always keep candy or cookies in reserve.
- During the transition to a diabetic diet, the child needs to measure blood glucose more often - before eating, 60 minutes after eating, before going to bed. On average, it turns out that the child needs to measure sugar at least 7 times a day, this allows you to choose the most accurate dose of insulin and reduce them depending on the indicators.
- When the child began to eat according to the diet of diet No. 9, it is necessary to protect him from stress, strong physical exertion, as this can provoke a greater consumption of energy in him, which he will stop with carbohydrates. When the diet becomes habitual, you can begin active sports.
Read more about the features of type 1 diabetes in children - read here.
It is recommended that babies, whose nutrition is completely dependent on their mother, be kept breast-fed for as long as possible. Breasts with a diagnosis of type 1 diabetes will thus be able to receive proper and balanced nutrition as long as possible.
If for some reason lactation is impossible, then for your children you need to buy special mixtures that have a reduced glucose content. It is extremely important to observe the same intervals between meals.
Nutrition for young patients can be introduced up to one year according to this method: first of all, the baby is fed with vegetable purees and juices, but cereals, in which there are a lot of carbohydrates, are introduced into the baby’s diet in the last turn.
Diabetes is not a sentence, but a way of life, doctors say. "Tame" your diabetes - possible! It is only necessary to regularly monitor the level of sugar in the blood, inject insulin injections and choose the right foods based on their glycemic index:
If you want to know more about type 1 diabetes, then this article will help you.
Unfortunately, diabetes is an incurable disease, but that it does not bother, it is important to follow the rules of treatment, as well as eat properly. This will help the patient not only feel alert and full of strength, but also prevent complications.
Mazovetsky A.G. Diabetes mellitus / A.G. Mazowiecki, V.K. Velikov. - M .: Medicine, 2014 .-- 288 p.
Mkrtumyan A.M., Nelaeva A.A. Emergency endocrinology, GEOTAR-Media - M., 2014 .-- 130 p.
Bobrovich, P.V. 4 blood types - 4 ways from diabetes / P.V. Bobrovich. - M .: Potpourri, 2016 .-- 192 p.
- Peters-Harmel E., Matur R. Diabetes mellitus. Diagnosis and treatment, Practice -, 2008. - 500 c.
Let me introduce myself. My name is Yelena. I have been working as an endocrinologist for more than 10 years. I believe that I am currently a professional in my field and I want to help all visitors to the site to solve complex and not so tasks. All materials for the site are collected and carefully processed in order to convey as much as possible all the necessary information. Before applying what is described on the website, a mandatory consultation with specialists is always necessary.