Galvus Meth is a prescription drug that has a pronounced hypoglycemic effect on the body. It is used to normalize the level of glucose in the blood. The active substance is vildagliptin. Available in pill form.
The drug is prescribed for type 2 diabetes.
- People who previously underwent monotherapy with vildagliptin and metformin.
- With monotherapy, combined with therapeutic diet and exercise.
- At the initial stage of drug therapy - simultaneously with metformin. This is especially necessary with the ineffectiveness of diet and physical therapy.
- In combination with metformin, insulin, sulfonylurea, with the ineffectiveness of diet, physical therapy and monotherapy with these medicines.
- With sulfonylurea and metformin for those patients who have previously undergone combination therapy with these drugs and have not achieved glycemic control.
- Simultaneously with metformin and insulin with low effectiveness of these funds.
- Diseases of the respiratory system.
- Individual intolerance to the components of the drug.
- Functional disorders of the kidneys.
- Diarrhea, fever, vomiting. These symptoms may indicate an exacerbation of chronic kidney disease and infectious processes.
- Heart failure, myocardial infarction and other pathologies of the cardiovascular system.
- The presence of diabetic lactic acidosis and ketoacidosis, on the background of pre-comatose state or coma.
- Alcohol addiction.
In addition, the drug is not recommended to take over the age of 60 years and adolescents under 18 years. Patients in these age groups are very sensitive to metformin.
Instructions for use
The dosage is selected individually for each patient. This takes into account the severity of the disease, intolerance to the components of the drug.
|Monotherapy||In combination with metformin and sulfonylurea||Simultaneously with insulin, metformin and thiazolidinedione||In combination with sulfonylurea|
|50 mg once or 2 times a day (maximum permissible dose - 100 mg)||100 mg per day||50–100 mg once or 2 times a day||50 mg once daily for 24 hours|
If, while taking the maximum dose of 100 mg, the glucose level has not decreased, it is advisable to take other hypoglycemic drugs.
Taking the drug depends on the diet. Dose adjustment is needed in patients with functional renal impairment of moderate severity. The maximum can not exceed 50 mg per day. The remaining categories of patients selection of doses is not required.
If used incorrectly, the following side effects are possible:
- bouts of nausea and vomiting,
- gastroesophageal reflux,
- diarrhea or constipation.
- abdominal pain,
- increased fatigue
Some patients noted the presence of a metallic taste in the mouth. Occasionally, skin rashes and urticaria, excessive peeling of the epidermis, painful tickling irritation of the skin, excessive fluid accumulation in soft tissues. Joint pain, pancreatitis, vitamin B deficiency are not excluded.12 and hepatitis (disappears after stopping treatment).
All patients with type 2 diabetes while taking the drug is recommended to follow a strict diet. Calorie intake should be no more than 1000 per day.
Before the appointment and during drug treatment is required to monitor indicators of liver function. This is due to the increased activity of the aminotransferase during the administration of vildagliptin.
When metformin accumulates in the body, lactic acidosis is likely to develop. This is a very rare but severe metabolic complication. The risk group includes people who have starved or abused alcohol for a long time. This also applies to diabetics suffering from severe renal failure.
Use during pregnancy
Galvus Met 50/1000 mg is contraindicated for pregnant and lactating. Data on the use of the drug in this period is not.
If metformin therapy is required, the endocrinologist will select another proven drug. At the same time it is necessary to regularly measure the level of sugar in the blood until the end of pregnancy. Otherwise, there is a risk of developing congenital anomalies in the child. In the worst case, the death of the fetus is possible. To normalize glucose levels, a woman needs to inject insulin.
The drug has a low level of drug interactions. Because of this, it can be combined with various inhibitors and enzymes.
When applied simultaneously with Glibenclamide, Warfarin, Digoxin and Amlodipine, no clinically significant interaction has been established.
Galvus Meta has many pharmacological analogues. Among them - Avandamet, Glimekomb, Kombogliz ProLong, Januvia, Trazhent, Vipidia and Ongliz.
Combined hypoglycemic drug. The composition includes two main components - rosiglitazone and metformin. It is prescribed for the treatment of insulin-dependent diabetes. Metformin inhibits sugar synthesis in the liver, and rosiglitazone increases the sensitivity of beta cells to insulin.
It contains gliclazide and metformin. Normalizes blood glucose levels. Contraindicated in insulin-dependent diabetics, pregnant women suffering from hypoglycemia and patients in a state of coma.
The preparation contains saxagliptin and metformin. Designed to treat type 2 diabetes. Contraindicated in persons with insulin-dependent diabetes, pregnant, adolescents under 18 years of age. Also Kombogliz Prolong is not prescribed for hypersensitivity to the main components and for liver and kidney dysfunction.
Sitagliptin acts as an active component of the hypoglycemic agent. The drug normalizes glucagon and glycemia. Contraindicated in people with individual intolerance to the components and insulin-dependent diabetes. During therapy, respiratory tract infections, headache, joint pain, and indigestion may occur.
Available in the form of tablets with linagliptin. Stabilizes glucose and weakens gluconeogenesis. Dosages are selected individually.
The drug is intended for combination treatment or monotherapy for type 2 diabetes. Available in pill form. It is prohibited for people with heart, kidney and liver failure, insulin-dependent diabetes and diabetic ketoacidosis.
The drug to maintain blood sugar on an empty stomach and after meals. Saksagliptin controls glucagon. It is used for monotherapy or in combination with other drugs. Contraindicated in type 1 diabetes and ketoacidosis.
Feedback on the application is mostly positive. Galvus Met is well tolerated by almost all patients. The only minus of the drug is its high price. Also, there is a need for additional use of glucose-lowering drugs.
General information about the drug
Due to the effects of Vildagliptin (the active substance), the detrimental effect of the peptidase enzyme is reduced, and the synthesis of glucagon-like peptide-1 and HIP is only increasing.
When the amount of these substances in the body becomes higher than normal, Vildagliptin improves the activity of beta cells in relation to glucose, which leads to increased synthesis of the hormone that lowers sugar.
It should be noted that the increase in the activity of beta cells is completely dependent on the rate of their destruction. For this reason, in people with normal glucose levels, Vildagliptin does not affect insulin synthesis.
The active substance of the drug contributes to an increase in glucagon-like peptide-1 and enhance the susceptibility of alpha cells to glucose. As a result, glucagon synthesis is enhanced. Reducing its amount in the process of eating leads to increased susceptibility of peripheral cells in relation to the hormone that lowers sugar.
Composition, release form
Medication is made in the form of tablets that are coated. One contains two active elements: Vildagliptin (50 mg) and Metformin, contained in three dosages — 500 mg, 850 mg, and 1000 mg.
In addition to them, the composition of the drug substances such as:
- magnesium stearate,
- hydroxypropyl methyl cellulose,
- titanium dioxide,
- iron oxide yellow or red.
Tablets packaged in blisters of ten pieces. The package contains three blisters.
Pharmacology and Pharmacokinetics
The sugar lowering effect of the medication is realized due to the action of two key components:
- Vildagliptin - increases the activity of pancreatic cells in relation to blood sugar, which leads to an increase in insulin synthesis,
- Metformin - reduces the amount of glucose in the body by reducing the rate of absorption of carbohydrates, reduces the synthesis of glucose by the liver cells and improves utilization of peripheral tissues.
Medication is used to cause a persistent decrease in blood sugar levels in the body. Moreover, in rare cases, the formation of hypoglycemia is noted.
It was revealed that food intake does not affect the speed and level of drug absorption, but the concentration of active ingredients decreases slightly, although it all depends on the dose of the drug.
Absorption of the drug is very fast. When taking the drug before a meal, its presence in the blood can be detected within one and a half hours. The body will transform the medication into metabolites excreted in the urine and feces.
Indications and Contraindications
Type 2 diabetes is considered the main indication for use.
There are several situations when it is necessary to use this tool:
- as monotherapy,
- during treatment with Vildagliptin and Metformin, which are used as full-fledged medications,
- use of the drug in combination with drugs that reduce blood sugar and sulfonylurea,
- use of the drug in combination with insulin,
- The use of this medication as a key medication in the treatment of type 2 diabetes, when dietary nutrition does not help.
The effect of taking the medicine is estimated by a stable decrease in the amount of sugar in the blood.
When to use the drug should not:
- intolerance to patients or high sensitivity to the components of the medical device,
- Type 1 diabetes
- before the operation and the passage of x-rays, radiozotopic diagnostic method,
- with impaired metabolism, when ketones are detected in the blood,
- disruption of the liver and start to develop failure,
- chronic or acute form of cardiac or respiratory failure,
- severe alcohol poisoning
- poor low-calorie food,
- pregnancy and lactation period.
Before you start taking pills, you must make sure that there are no contraindications.
Side effects and overdose
The use of tablets can cause the development of side effects of the drug, and this will affect the state of the following organs and systems:
- Digestive system - begins to feel sick, pain occurs in the abdomen, gastric juice throws in the lower parts of the esophagus, inflammation of the pancreas may occur, a metallic taste may appear in the mouth, vitamin B starts to be absorbed worse
- Nervous system - pain, dizzy, trembling hands.
- Liver and yellowfish - hepatitis.
- Musculoskeletal system - pain in the joints, sometimes in the muscles.
- Metabolic processes - increases the level of uric acid and blood acidity.
- Allergy - rash on the surface of the skin and itching, urticaria. It is also possible the development of more severe for the body signs of an allergic reaction, which is expressed in angioedema angioedema or anaphylactic shock.
- In rare cases, symptoms of hypoglycemia appear, namely, trembling of the upper extremities, "cold sweat." In this case, the ingestion of carbohydrates (sweet tea, confectionery) is recommended.
If the side effects of the drug have begun to develop, then it is necessary to discontinue its use and consult a doctor.
Opinions of specialists and patients
From the reviews of doctors and patients about Galvus Met it can be concluded about the effectiveness of the drug for reducing blood glucose. Side effects are quite rare and stopped by reducing the dose of the drug.
The drug belongs to the group IDDP-4, registered in Russia as a remedy for diabetes of the second type. It is effective and fairly safe, well tolerated by diabetics, does not cause weight gain. Galvus Met is allowed to be used when the renal function is reduced, which is not superfluous in the treatment of elderly people.
Well proven drug. It shows excellent results in controlling sugar levels.
Type 2 diabetes mellitus was diagnosed ten years ago. I tried to take many drugs, but they did not greatly improve my condition. Then the doctor advised Galvus. She took it twice a day and soon the glucose level became normal, but the side effects of the drug appeared, namely, headaches and rashes. The doctor recommended switching to a dose of 50 mg, this helped. At the moment, the condition is excellent, almost forgot about the disease.
Maria, 35, Noginsk
More than fifteen years ill with diabetes. For a long time, the treatment did not bring significant results until the doctor recommended to buy Galvus Met. Excellent means, one reception per day is enough to normalize the level of sugar. And although the price is high, but I will not refuse the medicine, it is very effective.
Nikolay, 61 years old, Vorkuta
Video material from Dr. Malysheva on products that can be of help to drugs for diabetes:
The medicine can be purchased at any pharmacy. The price varies between 1180-1400 rubles, depending on the region.