People with diabetes should know important information about the effects of alcohol:
- Alcohol will slow down the release of sugar from the liver.
- Alcohol hurts the vessels and the heart.
- The drink lowers the blood sugar of a diabetic.
- Frequent use of alcohol leads to hypoglycemia.
- Negative effect on the pancreas.
- It is dangerous to take alcohol with pills and insulin.
- Alcohol can be drunk after meals. It is dangerous to drink on an empty stomach.
For diabetics there are 2 groups of alcoholic beverages.
- The first group. It includes strong alcohol, in which about 40% alcohol. Usually in such drinks there is no sugar at all. This group includes brandy, vodka, whiskey and gin. Such drinks can be used in diabetes, but not exceeding a dose of 70 ml. Be sure to eat such strong alcohol. Vodka with diabetes can even be beneficial, but in reasonable amounts.
- The second group. It contains drinks containing fructose, glucose and sucrose. It is a sugar that is so dangerous for diabetics. Doctors are allowed to drink only dry drinks, in which no more than 5 percent of sugar. This applies to dry wine and champagne. You can use these drinks without exceeding a dose of 200 ml.
Beer with diabetes is allowed to use, but not exceeding the dose of 300 ml.
Alcohol and diabetes - danger
- After drinking alcohol, a person can not accurately determine the dose of insulin and pills that the body needs in diabetes.
- Alcohol in diabetes slows down the action of insulin and the person does not know exactly when the medicine will work. This is a big risk for diabetics who are highly dependent on insulin dosage.
- Reception of alcohol destroys the pancreas.
- The effect of alcohol is difficult to predict for each separately. Drink can dramatically reduce glucose levels and the person will fall into a coma because of this.
- Glucose falls at an unpredictable moment. This can happen after 3 hours and even after 24 hours. For each person all individually.
- Frequent use of alcohol leads to the progression of diabetes.
- In humans, a hyperglycemic condition occurs.
Diet for diabetes - what can and can not
Here is what can happen with a diabetic after alcohol:
- The person starts to sweat and feels sharply.
- The pulse in the body slows down.
- The person does not feel the reaction to any external stimuli.
- There is a deep or superficial coma.
- The brain in this state is experiencing a strong oxygen starvation.
With a superficial coma, a diabetic can be saved if glucose is introduced into a vein. If there is a deep coma, the patient is transported to the hospital and injected glucose through an IV drip.
Hyperglycemic coma occurs in the following stages:
- After drinking alcohol, the skin of a person becomes sharply dry.
- There is a strong smell of acetone from the mouth.
- Set the state of the body will only help the meter.
- An urgent need to make an IV drip and insulin injection to bring glucose back to normal.
Rules for alcohol use in diabetes
If you adhere to these recommendations, then alcoholic beverage will not cause harm to health.
- Drink alcohol with diabetes only with food.
- Watch your sugar level, measure it every 3 hours
- If you have exceeded the rate of alcohol, you do not need to use insulin and diabetes pills on this day.
- Snack alcoholic drinks with bread, sausage and potatoes. It is recommended to eat carbohydrates that are slowly digested.
- Tell your friends about your illness so that they are as attentive as possible. In the case of a sharp drop in sugar, you should urgently give a sweet tea.
- Do not use metformin and acarbose with alcohol.
How to drink a diabetic wine?
Doctors allow patients to drink 1 glass of dry red wine per day. Many people find this useful, as there are polyphenols in the drink, which will control the level of sugar in the body. However, you need to read the label on the bottle before buying. For example, in semi-sweet and sweet wine more than 5% sugar. And this is a high dose for a diabetic. In dry wines only 3%, which does not harm the body. Every day you can drink 50 grams of wine. For holidays in a rare exception about 200 grams are allowed.
Is it possible to use fructose with diabetes mellitus
How to drink vodka diabetic?
Sometimes diabetes vodka can stabilize sugar levels, if it is too high. However, doctors are not advised to contact the help of alcohol. Vodka will disturb the metabolism and harm the liver. You can drink no more than 100 grams of alcohol per day. Do not forget to consult a doctor. Vodka in diabetes at some stages of the disease is prohibited.
Is beer allowed for diabetes?
Many believe that brewer's yeast is good for diabetics. They can improve metabolism, liver function and blood circulation. However, doctors are not advised to abuse the drink. If you drink no more than 300 ml of beer, it does not cause significant harm. Do not forget to consult with your doctor, as at certain stages of the disease alcohol is completely prohibited. Beer with diabetes in large quantities can cause coma.
- For diabetics, fortified wines, sweet champagne and fruit-based liqueurs are very dangerous. It is not recommended to use liqueurs, dessert wines and low-alcohol cocktails based on juice.
- Be sure to measure sugar before bedtime, if you have previously drunk alcohol.
- Alcohol is really dangerous for diabetics. If you can not do without alcohol, you need to try to encode. This procedure is permitted for diabetes.
- It is forbidden to mix alcohol with other drinks. Doctors warn that even juice and sparkling water in combination with alcohol will harm diabetics. Dilute alcohol can only drinking water without gas and additives.
- Always try to read the label before buying alcohol. There will be indicated the percentage of glucose that is so important for a diabetic. Buy only good, expensive drinks, which you are completely sure of.
We have determined that diabetes and alcohol are not the best combination. However, with the permission of the doctor and at a certain stage of the disease, you can afford alcohol. It is important not to exceed the permissible limit of alcohol consumption and follow all the rules and recommendations. Then the drink does not harm the health and does not aggravate diabetes.